Thursday, September 25, 2008

Blog 3

1.What might it be like to live in a society where there are no “selves”, and “we” has replaced “I”?
Everything in a world that there would be no selves and there would only be we, it would not be a world of individualists. I don't think it would be a very enojoyable place to live. I mean, you are supposed to have yourself, and be yourself, but in a place where there is only the "we" nothing be would be different. It would be a place where there would be fear, and nothing but living for others, even though they have earned no respect or no love from their fellow brothers and sisters. I do not believe that the world "we" should ever replace the word "I".

3. Explain the significance of the names Rand chose to give to her characters. Why were these particular names used?
Every name that was used to name the characters in her book were words that represented the collectiveness of their community. Like Equality and Liberty, and Justice. They all stand for the equality between all members of the community.

4. On p.51, Equality 7-2521 discussed the Unspeakable Word. What do you think this word is any why would it be considered unspeakable in this society? What would happen if this word was used and how would it change the way people think of their fellow people and theirselves?

I believe that the unspeakable word is I, it's a community that is meant to be equal and the same and collective. But as soon as someone speaks the word I then everything that they work for is gone. THat is why I believe that I is the unspeakable word.

No comments: